Sunday, 25 September 2016

Four Products for Flawless & Long-Lasting Makeup


Four Products for Flawless and Long-Lasting Makeup

If you've ever looked at a photo of a makeup artist or model wearing a bold lip or a bright eye & wondered how they manage to make it look so polished, I can guarantee the secret to their look was a flawless base. Obviously there's nothing wrong with a more sheer look (I love that Rebecca Shores often rocks her natural freckles) but as someone with less than perfect skin I want my face to be a blank canvas. So, today I wanted to share with you my updated base routine featuring four products which are guaranteed to give you a flawless finish. 


Step One  //  Moisturise & Prime

As someone with super oily skin, I struggle to find moisturisers that are lightweight enough for use during the warmest months of the year. That's where MAC's Prep + Prime in Radiant Yellow comes in. Yes, at £29.50 for 50ml it's pretty pricey, but you only need two or three pumps to achieve smooth, moisturised skin that's ready for foundation application almost instantly. The yellow tone is supposed to counteract dullness, although it's definitely not pigmented enough to double as colour correction. I have noticed that in the last few days my skin has been drier so I've been reaching for my go-to moisturiser Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream but I hate having to wait for it to settle into my skin, so MAC's Prep + Prime is still my pick for days where you need to get out the door ASAP.

MAC Prep + Prime Radiant Yellow 

Step Two  //  Foundation

If you've followed this blog for a while you know that I used to be all about the super-matte base (Estée Lauder's Double Wear was my favourite) but over the Summer I had a bit of a revelation after trying Too Faced's Born This Way foundation. Born This Way can definitely compete with Double Wear's coverage but it looks far more natural, with a beautiful satin finish when you first apply it which becomes more glowy as it wears in. By the end of an eight-hour work day there's no denying that my face looks pretty shiny, but it's in a flattering kind of way, y'know? It's also worth noting that while Born This Way runs quite warm, Debenhams do now stock Snow and Pearl, the two lightest shades in the range.

Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

Step Three  //  Concealer

As someone who flatly refuses to go to bed until we've seen what happened on the latest episode of Ex On The Beach concealer is a must. I used to be a big fan of the MAC Pro Longwear Concealer which has great pigmentation, but I started to find it quite dry so I switched to the Naked Skin Concealer for a more natural finish. It's definitely not as long-lasting as the Pro Longwear, but when patted in with a damp sponge & set with powder it's close enough. It also makes it easier to do on-the-go touch ups during the day as you can simply blend away any eyeshadow fall-out or smudged mascara.

Naked Skin Concealer 

Step Four  //  Setting Spray

I have pretty oily skin so a setting spray is a must. A good setting spray should both help minimise the appearance of powder on the face, giving a more natural finish, & keep your face looking fresher for longer. The Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day setting sprays are definitely less hardcore than more well-known brands like Urban Decay but for half the price they're a great affordable alternative. They also come in five scents, perfect if you can't stand the chemical smell of more traditional products.

Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day Setting Spray

I hope you found this post helpful & please let me know in the comments below if you end up trying any of the products I've recommended. I'd also be keen to hear your top tips for keeping your makeup looking it's best.


If you're serious about achieving flawless skin, check out my five-step skin-care routine.


 p.s. I want to quickly apologise for the month-long gap between this & my last post. If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you'll know that I recently moved house, & the combination of moving, unpacking, & then heading back to work at the busiest time of the year made blogging tough. I have loads I want to share with you though so hopefully there'll be lots of new content over the next couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved