Sunday, 10 July 2016

OOTD: Biba Swing Dress



Early last week I realised that an event I'm attending this Thursday has a black tie dress code. Cue several days of frantically Googling a) what "black tie" actually means & b) plus size "occasion" dresses. Predictably there weren't a huge number of options & nothing was really jumping out at me. I did pick up this stunning patterned dress by Biba (from House of Fraser) but I'm still not convinced it's formal enough. Maybe with some statement jewellery & bold makeup? Let me know what you think in the comments below.


I bought this in a size 20 which is unfortunately the largest size this dress comes in. That being said, because it's a swing dress the main area where sizing is likely to be an issue is the sleeves, so if you're a larger size but have smaller arms it might still work for you. Personally, it is a little tight on my upper arms but not enough to be an issue.

I chose to pair it with black & gold accessories for a more formal look. However, I think because of the shorter length, it still feels more like a dress I might wear to work than a black tie event. It's definitely cute though & despite the bold print it feels like something I'll get a lot of wear out of.


The dress itself comes in two parts: a navy cotton slip (which is super comfortable) & the sheer patterned swing dress, making it super versatile. Remove the slip & suddenly you have a super cool retro cover-up, which you can wear loose for hanging around the pool, or with a belt if you want to go grab some food or drinks. For this look I paired it with my Gabi Fresh for Swimsuits for All bikini & my red leather Swedish Hasbeens.

While I'm not convinced this dress is "the one" for my event on Thursday, I'm glad I took the chance on it & it shows that sometimes it can be good to step outside of your comfort zone with clothes.

5 comments:

  1. The cutest! I love both of these dresses on you! That belt on the first one is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That belt must be 5+ years old now but I always end up going back to it!

      Delete
  2. Love the blue on you! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not usually one to wear bright colours but the blue is great for Summer ☀️

      Delete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved